How to choose a Christmas tree?
Buying New Year's fir is not as simple as it seems. Before choosing a Christmas tree, you need to decide what kind of tree you want: live or artificial. And if your choice has fallen on a living tree, it is very important not only to choose it correctly, but also to know how to take care of it so that the tree will please you during all New Year's holidays.
But first I would like to tell a fewinteresting facts about New Year's spruce. The first mention of the decorated New Year tree dates back to 1500. The tree was dressed in Alsace, the German province. In Germany, spruce was considered the embodiment of life, therefore, until this time it was not chopped, but dressed up right in the woods. Fir trees, eggs and apples were decorated with fir. Each traditional decoration had its own meaning. Apple - a symbol of fertility, eggs - a symbol of well-being, harmony, and nuts were a sign of the incomprehensibility of divine thought.
The custom to decorate New Year's spruce came to Russia in17th century. Before that time it was customary to decorate houses with pine, spruce or juniper branches. And only in 1700 Peter the First brought from Germany and approved in Russia the tradition of decorating the Christmas tree for New Year and Christmas. And although this innovation has not taken root right away, in our time it is very difficult to imagine the New Year holidays without a traditional forest beauty.
How to choose an artificial Christmas tree
Now many people are thinking about buyingartificial trees. Yes, this is understandable, because artificial spruce is not strewed, compact and convenient to store, costs an order of magnitude cheaper than living, and you only need to buy it once. However, the Christmas tree is different. To choose the right tree, special attention should be paid to the quality of the spruce to be purchased. After all, if you want to buy a tall, beautiful and furry spruce from the latest materials, the purchase amount can be substantial.
So, let's find out what to look for when buying an artificial spruce:
- The very first thing that is often noticedIs the price. After all, as you know, price is an indicator of quality. And if the cost of the purchased tree is suspiciously low, it is likely that there are toxic substances in the materials used to make this product. And this, in turn, says that the spruce will quickly lose its appearance and, in addition, it can be fire dangerous.
- Pay attention to what is written on thepackaging, so-called "ingredients". If the package contains substances such as formaldehyde, tar, methylene, such a buyer should not. These impurities are quite dangerous. And when heated with garlands, toxic fumes will be released.
- Look for information on refractoryproperties of the product. The most safe at the moment is considered to be spruce from polymers with flame retardants, which prevent fire. If the packaging does not indicate the materials from which the spruce is made, it is better not to buy such a Christmas tree.
- Check the quality of the needles. If the needles are soft - slide your palm against the growth of needles, inflate it. If the needles are hard, you can pull it a little. If the needles do not crumble, they do not form creases, and they quickly occupy the original position - an artificial high-quality tree.
How to choose a living Christmas tree
Approximately in the twentieth of December,Christmas markets, on which you can buy a living tree. So, what to look for when choosing a spruce? After all, if the tree is chosen incorrectly, then as a result you can get a bunch of crumbling needles, and as a result - a bad mood, which is absolutely unacceptable in the New Year holidays.
Therefore, when buying a tree, pay attention tothe following points: The first is the needles. Its color should be saturated, without yellowness, dark green or silver-blue (in case you buy blue spruce). When rubbing the needles, you should feel a bit of a tart coniferous aroma, and on the fingers should remain an oily resin. Tree branches should be flexible and break with difficulty. After all, if the tree is dry, the branches will break with a bang and quite easily. The trunk should be straight without knots and visible wounds on the bark. Buying a tree more than a meter and a half in height, remember that its trunk in diameter should be 5-8 cm., The weight of the tree itself is not less than 7 kg. Pay attention to the cut of the tree, it should not have a dark rim. If there is such a fringing, this indicates that the tree was cut long ago. Do not listen to salespeople's assurances that the sprigs ate only on the street look frail, and at home, feeling warm, will dissolve and will look different. Do not dissolve and will not. Moreover, some of the needles will fall off, and the spruce will become even more miserable.
Summing up, I want to say that choosing a spruce,do not pay attention to the trees with an old saw, with crumbling yellow needles, with trunks stitched and brittle branches. Such recommendations are applicable in general to all conifers.
Do not delay the purchase of New Year's sprues up to 30-31December. Because, by this time, the choice will be limited. All worthy firs will be disassembled, and you will have to choose from what's left. In addition, the price on the eve of the New Year can be much higher. After all, no one wants to stay without a Christmas tree on New Year's Eve. The seller will not miss this moment and will raise the price of a good tree.
Caring for the New Year's Eve: tips
Remember that in a warm house the fir trees dry quickly, and the needles are crumbling. Therefore, to the tree pleased you as long as possible, you should do the following:
- When transporting a tree home, try not todamage the branches. It will be better if you wrap a tree with a dense material, for example a cloth. A soft rope will do. If you are asked to pack a tree in a mesh on the Christmas tree market, be sure to do it.
- Before you bring a Christmas tree into the house, it is desirableleave it for a few hours at the entrance or on the balcony. A sudden change in temperature can damage the tree. Therefore, if you bought a fir beforehand, it is better to keep it in the cold.
- Bring the tree forward in the crown. Then you will not break off the lower branches, and the tree will not lose the needles.
- Bring a spruce into the room 1-2 hours before you are going to decorate it.
- Place the Christmas tree longer from the battery.
- The lower part of the trunk of the spruce should be moistened for at least 20 cm, so it would be good to put the tree in a pail of sand and regularly pour water in there.
- From time to time, sprinkle spruce branches from the spray gun. So they will not wither and not crumble.
We examined various nuances for whichshould pay attention when buying wood. However, which Christmas tree to choose depends not only on the quality, but also on your personal preferences. Often they are the determining factor when making a purchase. Therefore, whatever kind of spruce you choose, we hope that it will please you during all New Year holidays.