How to clean siliconeMay 27, 2012
ContentSilicone sealant serves to seal the joints of various surfaces. Those who have used this material often face the problem of how to clean the silicone, since it is very difficult to remove it. Silicone-based sealants are widely used in various fields. So, compounds with antimicrobial additives are used for sealing joints in pools and bathrooms, and silicone sealants are used by motorists, builders and owners of aquariums.
Such sealants exhibit excellent adhesion properties. This is due to the fact that it is made on the basis of solvents, which give it good elasticity and provide excellent adhesion with a variety of surfaces. The strong smell of silicone sealants is also explained by the presence of solvents in their compositions. That is why it is not always advisable to remove silicone with the help of chemicals.
It can be difficult to remove the silicone sealant from different surfaces, especially if it has been in contact with the surface material for a long time.For example, if silicone gets onto a tile or glass, then it penetrates deeply into the pores of the material and is therefore difficult to clean. It is possible to remove it, but it will have to work hard and use some tricks.
Removal of silicone sealant using white spirit
To remove silicone at home according to one of the methods you will need: white spirit, blades, rags, any detergent.
We clean a clean cloth in white spirit and wipe the place with silicone sealant. We must wait about thirty seconds. During this time, the silicone sealant becomes jelly-like, i.e., softens. Then we take a blade or a sharp razor and clean the sealant from a tile or glass. Since a yellowish greasy stain may remain on the silicone spot, this place should be wiped off again with a cloth with a solvent, and then with a clean, dry cloth.
Wash cleaned space with detergent. It is advisable to take one that dissolves grease well, such as dishwashing detergent. After that, wipe the surface with a dry cloth.
Mechanical Silicone Removal
This method of silicone removal is suitable only for those surfaces that are not prone to scratches or those for which appearance is not important.Removal of silicone sealant is made with a pumice stone and a sharp knife. First, a knife is used, and then the remains of silicone are cleaned with a piece of pumice.
- Mechanical cleaning of glass or other surface begins with the removal of large silicone growths that are removed with the back of a knife. At this stage, the probability of damage to the surface is very high, so you need to work carefully so that no scratches appear.
- Usually, after removing the silicone, a greasy stain remains. To remove it, take a dry washcloth with a hard surface or a sponge for washing dishes (its reverse hard side) and clean the surface from traces of silicone. If the stain is not rubbed off, then you can use a dish detergent. You can also use a glass cleaner.
- Best of all, this method helps remove silicone from smooth, even surfaces. It should be remembered that the longer the silicone was on the surface, the harder it is to wipe it off, so it is better to immediately remove the remains of silicone sealant from the surfaces.
- If there are difficulties in removing the silicone, then you can connect a stronger tool - acetone.In this case, the use of personal protective equipment - gloves, respirator and goggles.
Silicone Removal with Salt
It is also one of the methods of mechanical cleaning of silicone. For this method, you will need salt, slightly moistened with water. It is applied on a clean cloth or fall asleep in gauze, folded in several layers. The resulting tampon wipe the place with the remnants of silicone with a little pressure with careful circular movements.
Typically, the complexity of cleaning the surface from silicone depends on the quality of the sealant and the cleanliness of the sealing surface. For clean glass and high-quality silicone, for example, mechanical cleaning is quite enough, but sometimes there are also difficult cases. If the sealants cannot be removed mechanically, the glass is heated to a temperature of 400 degrees and the silicone is removed. Its residues are cleaned with any cleaning agent.
How to clean the sealant in the shower and in the bathroom
Removing old silicone sealant can be a problem for shower cubicle owners. This is especially noticeable at the joints between the stall of the booth and its walls - these places become dark in color, and sometimes the silicone is peeled off and forms slots through which the water from the tray flows to the bathroom floor.To remove the old sealant, you can choose a mechanical cleaning with a knife, scissors, screwdriver or piece of pumice.
- First, remove the entire layer of old sealant. It should be picked up by some hard object (for example, with a screwdriver) somewhere on the edge, and then to be torn off along the entire perimeter or where it will be possible.
- Then the walls of the cabin are removed from the pallet. If the silicone layer is not completely removed, it can be cut with a knife, thrusting the tool into the joint between the walls and the tray.
- After removal of the shower cubicle walls, the remaining silicone is removed from the edges of the pallet and the cabin with the help of pumice. To do this, make a piece of pumice circular careful movement. With careful work, the surface of the pallet (for example, acrylic) will not suffer. If there are particles of silicone on the booth, they are cleaned with a screwdriver. After that, the elements of the shower stall wipe clean with a dry cloth.
- You can use a chemical agent. Now there are special formulations for the removal of silicone. They are usually sold in car shops or in paint departments. You can also use ordinary vinegar or white spirit, but remember that this method is effective only when removing fresh traces of silicone.