How to fix the skirting board?
Watch the video
Plinth - angled finishing bar, whichIt is intended for closing gaps between a wall and a floor or between a wall and a ceiling. Fastening of plinth is the final stage of any repair. In this article, let's try to figure out which plinth is best used and how to properly fasten it.
Plinth on the floor
Plinths are mainly of two types:
Plastic skirting boards
And today the plastic skirting board is gaining popularity more and more. In addition, mount it easier. Therefore, it is worthwhile to consider in detail how to fix a plastic skirting board.
First, we prepare the instrument. In order to fix the skirting board we will need:
- Impact drill and set of drills, including with the winning tips;
- power cross-head screwdriver or screwdriver;
- hacksaw for metal;
- nails and a hammer;
Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. In any case, before beginning the fixing of the plinth, you need to determine not only the method of installation, but also with the amount of material and additional decorative elements. This is done like this:
- Using a tape measure measure the length of the perimeter of the room.
- Calculate the required number of profiles. The standard length of the skirting profile is 2.5 m. It is necessary to add 2 meters to the length of the perimeter and divide the sum by the length of the profile, that is, by 2.5.
- We consider the number of internal and external corners in the room. That's how many connecting angles are needed. They are also internal and external.
- If the wall length in the room is larger than the standardlength of the profile, that is, 2.5 m, the profile will have to be extended. For this, there are also special elements - connectors. Their number must also be calculated before purchase.
- The ends of the plinth at each doorway are closed with special plugs. Be careful, they are left and right, respectively.
- In addition, it is necessary to stock up with dowels,self-tapping screws, plastic plugs for self-tapping screws in the tone of the plinth. In case you decide to fasten the baseboard with special fasteners, you must also purchase them. The calculation is simple - the plastic skirting board is fixed to the wall every 40 centimeters. But all the fastening should be taken with a margin.
Principles of fixing the plinth
Plastic skirting can be attached in three different ways:
- with the help of special fasteners;
- with the help of glue;
- with the help of dowels.
Staples or special fasteners
Advantages of this method is that there are no visible traces of installation on the baseboard. The very same profile is easily removed.
The main disadvantage of this method is that forMounting with staples requires perfectly flat walls and floors. In addition, despite the fact that the manufacturer usually claims that the profile can easily be reinstalled into the same brackets, in reality this is not always possible.
Fastening with glue
Advantages in ease of installation (adhesive is appliedon the rear surface of the profile and the profile itself is pressed against the wall). The appearance of the plinth also does not suffer. The disadvantage is the same as in the previous case. We need an even wall. In addition, it is unlikely to be able to use the dismantled profile.
Fastening with dowels and screws
The advantages are that this is the most reliable and cheapest way of fixing.
And the shortcomings - labor costs are much higher than in the case with the above methods. Plus, the self-tapping screws will be visible on the profile and they will have to be closed with special plugs.
Skirting board installation
Now consider how to properly mount the plinth PVC with self-tapping screws.
- We start the plinth starting from the inner corner of the room. First of all, we do the markup. The first fastener must be 5 cm from the corner. Then the fixing step is 40 cm.
- Drill the holes in the profile with the help of a thin drill at the right distance.
- Apply the drilled profile to the wall and draw a pencil in the place where there will be dowels in the wall.
- We insert a drill bit with a winning tip into the socket of the impact drill. The diameter of the drill is equal to the diameter of the dowel. We drill the wall in the designated places.
- Insert the dowels into the holes.
- We insert the profile into the inner connecting corner and fix it to the wall with screws. The hat of the self-tapping screw should completely press into the plastic, but in no case can it be pierced through.
- Before fixing the last section of the profile, always mount the required connection (internal or external corner, connector, plug).
- After the installation of the profile is completed, we close the screws of the screws with special plugs.
Installation of a wooden plinth is similarway, but there are their own nuances and there are a lot of them. Therefore, we will consider how to fix a wooden plinth on points. First, prepare the instrument. The list of necessary tools is in many respects identical to what we considered when fastening the plastic skirting board, but it is a little wider. In addition to the above, we will need:
- Hacksaw for wood instead of hacksaw for metal;
- carpentry chair.
Also from the materials we will need:
- wooden plinth;
- putty on wood;
- varnish or paint;
- self-tapping screws;
After the instrument is prepared, proceed to installation.
- As in the case of a plastic skirting board, the installation starts from the inside corner of the room. Using the chair, we cut the ends of the two profiles at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Using a thin drill, drill the skirting boardthe right distance. The first attachment will be 5 cm from the corner. But the following can be done at a larger - every 50 cm. The wooden plinth is much stronger and stiffer than the plastic, this distance between the fastening points is quite enough.
- Apply the profile to the wall and outline the places of installation of dowels. Drill holes and install dowels.
- In the profile itself we make the so-called "sweat" - grooves in order for the hat of the samorez to completely disappear in the profile. For this, we use a drill with a diameter slightly larger than the self-tapping screw.
- Apply the prepared profile to the wall so that the holes in it coincide with the places of installation of dowels. Using a power crosspoint screwdriver or screwdriver, screw the screws.
- After the installation is completed, fill all the crevices with the help of wood putty.
- After drying, we clean the putty with emery paper and you can start painting or varnishing the plinth.
To fix a ceiling skirting is much easier. First of all - because of the material, as a rule, polystyrene is used for the manufacture of a ceiling skirting board or a fillet.
It is recommended to fix the plinth of PVC on the ceiling before painting it and attaching wallpaper.
From the tools we will need:
- hacksaw for metal;
- small spatula;
- a container for kneading the filler;
- besides, in addition to the profile, we will need a finishing putty, the mark does not matter, but it is better to use the same as in the repair process.
The installation of the plinth itself looks like this:
- As in the case with the skirting board, we start from the inner corner of the room.
- With the help of a chair, we cut the corners at 45 degrees.
- Immediately before installation, we moisten the wall and ceiling in the place of fixing the skirting board.
- We spread the putty and put it on the profile in the attachment points with a spatula.
- Press the profile to the wall and ceiling.
- Remove the excess putty.
- All crevices are sealed with the same filler that is used for installation.
- All joints and corners are also sealed with putty, it holds well on the foam.
- Remains of putty we remove with a wet rag.
- After the putty has dried, the plinth can be painted.