How to make a stencil yourself?
Watch the video
With the help of stencils you can decorate a variety oftypes of surfaces. This way you can make an ordinary wall in the room beautiful and memorable. Stencils are currently used by many designers to create unique interiors. In this article we will look at how to make a stencil yourself. Our article presents two different methods.
For any stencil you will need material (you can choose paper, cardboard, tracing paper, film, foil, plastic) Also you will need:
- stationery knife;
- adhesive tape.
Development of a paper stencil
First you need to decide on the design. Elements of the stencil can be letters or numbers, geometric shapes, lace. You can also draw simple figures, for example, starfish, houses, leaves or animals.
- Now you need to draw a drawing. The image should be done manually using a pencil.
- After the drawing is completed, it is necessary to circle its contours with a permanent marker.
- Now you need to carefully cut out the stencil. You need to do this slowly enough and use the clerical knife. Rapid movements can spoil the stencil. For convenience, it is better to fix your stencil with an adhesive tape, which should be glued along the perimeter of the workpiece.
- The bridges - the distances between the cut out drawings - should not be touched. If you feel that in the process of cutting the blade of the knife blunted, it is recommended to change it.
- Sharp edges are made from corners. The cut out parts of the stencil should be removed with tweezers.
- As soon as you finish the work, carefully remove the tape so as not to tear it.
Tips for making stencils from office paper will give you an article How to make a stencil.
We will consider one more way of creating a stencil - plastic.
Stencil made of plastic
Plastic is a very good material for creating a stencil - it is quite durable and can be used repeatedly.
To create stencils from plastic fitacetate or mylar. You can buy them at the hardware store. Note that these types of plastic can be colored or transparent, they are presented in the form of rolls or sheets. Often have an adhesive backing. If you chose to buy acetate, remember that this plastic eventually turns yellow and becomes unusable.
When choosing a plastic, you must always pay attention to whether it is possible on itdraw. It is desirable that the plastic has a matte finish: this surface is better for a pencil or ink.
To draw on plastic, you needUse an indelible marker with a sharp tip. You can also use a pencil, but the contours of the picture, as in the previous case, need to circle the marker.
- The lines should be clear, do not touch the picture, otherwise you will smear it.
- Be sure to fix the workpiece. You need to move slowly and clearly along the lines of the drawing you draw. It is recommended to use aerosol glue, so you can tightly fix your stencil. Apply it to the back of the stencil and attach it to a flat surface, it is also recommended to fasten the stencil with adhesive tape for additional fixation.
- In order to cut out the stencil, use a stationery knife with a dense blade.
- You need to act in the same way as in the previous case. You need to move so that you cut from corners, and not to them. Cut out parts of the stencil should be removed using tweezers.
- At the end of the work, you should take advantage ofsoft sandpaper. With it, you can smooth out all corners, remove burrs, and smooth your stencil. Thus, it will be easier for you to use it. All dust can be removed with a piece of gauze or later with a cotton cloth.
If you want to make a stencil in the form of butterflies for decorating the interior, we recommend that you read the article How to make butterflies on the wall.
With the help of a stencil, you can make a beautiful henna tattoo yourself. This article will tell you how to make a tattoo at home.