What is a copy?
The word copy comes from the Latin copia,which literally means set. A copy in the general sense means accurate reproduction of the text of the original, for example, of any document, as well as the reproduction of the original in various ways, for example, using a print or an imprint. The term occurs in various areas of knowledge, let's find out what a copy is in some of them.
What is a copy: values
Very often a copy must be certified bynotary to confirm the authenticity of this paper. For example, many banks require a working copy of a work book for the working population when they apply for a loan. A copy in this case is certified in the office at the place of work of the person. For more information about this procedure, see How to Assure a Copy of Labor.
- The term is widely used in jurisprudence, where a copy is understood as the exact re-creation of any legally important document: a work record book, a passport, a pension card, an INN, etc.
- A copy is widely used in various genresand types of art. Here, the purpose of a copy is to recreate a work of art that completely repeats the original, preserving the manner in which the original was performed, and also the size of the original. Although sometimes reproduction occurs in a reduced or enlarged form. The copy played an enormous role in preserving the works of the art of antiquity, when during the Hellenistic period the copying of the best specimens of heritage began. Today, copies are used to preserve masterpieces of fine art from possible damage to external influences, as well as visual aids - in schools, art schools, universities.
- The archival copy is an official document, accurately repeating the text or the image of the archival original document with an indication of its output.
- In a colloquial style, a copy is understood as the external resemblance of someone to someone, for example: "Yes, it's your copy! Just look!".
- The concept of a backup copy is applicable inprogramming and computer sphere. Creating a backup helps restore the operating system after all kinds of failures. More information on this issue can be found in our article How to restore a backup copy.